After a couple of years of study I am back at work in a corporate environment. I take all my learning from self-awareness, meditation and relaxation, and my new found resilience back into a familiar workplace, and still I am finding the stress levels rising as I meet negativity on a daily basis.
I am curious about why I am struggling to maintain my equilibrium, why I am still vulnerable to the cumulative effects of pressure. The components that seem to be impacting me are:
- a heavy workload leading to tiredness and insufficient time to think clearly
- a general lack of appreciation and gratitude for work completed
- a lack of influence to make changes that I feel are important
- frequent challenges to my point of view leading me to question my knowledge and intelligence
It is difficult to maintain courage in a system that has a heavy investment in maintaining the status quo and limits change and challenge. So how can we stay strong?
- understand that hostility to new ideas stems from a desire to stay safe and resist challenge – it is not personal
- build a support network of like-minded individuals, not for complaint sharing but to share learning and coping strategies
- keep a record of the positive contribution we are making, whether this is visible or not to the organization
- go back to the sources of encouragement and inspiration that nourish and strengthen us
- remember that resilience is a flexible kind of strength. Stay true to the principle, but be flexible in terms of how things are done and communicated
- work on the relationships and activities outside of work to maintain a sense of perspective and keep work from escalating beyond its boundaries
- make time for meditating, mindfulness and relaxation to keep centred
It is hard to maintain our energy, commitment, integrity and courage to do the right thing in a system that is at odds with our personal views. The ability to persist and rise above our own frustrations to stay true to what we believe is a demonstration of courage. It is the only way to survive with our spirit intact, and in doing so we may well inspire transformation in the system around us.
Currently struggling with work – beginning a new career. It’s been a rocky week but making progress. I’m doing something I love and am on my way to making a great living doing it. I just wanted to let you know that your words were not unseen. I’m glad I found your blog. Thank you for writing and sharing your words with others. It is appreciated. It helps. Thank you.